Sunday, January 7, 2007

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - Lights will guide you home...

i've been really reluctant to get into the new coldplay, even though i enjoyed the first two albums. somewhere between the gwyneth baby and proclamations of getting "bigger the u2," they lost me. i got the album from a friend a few weeks before it came out, and i listened and dismissed it as, "it sounds like coldplay." (which, what was i expecting it to sound like, marilyn manson?)

which is so against my principles for not hating bands for gaining popularity, but i was just not into this album

but since the musical tastes in my office have shifted as all the indie boys moved upstairs to the creative department, i've tried to accommodate the girls who put up with my more obscure choices like tom vek and lucero, not to mention my obsession with david bowie, and play more "mainstream" stuff they like that i can stand. so x&y has been on constant rotation... and therefore creeped from my subconscious to actually recognizing, and dare i say, liking, certain songs.

somehow my whole emotional mechanic thing never clued me into the song "fix me" until i heard it five times in a row on saturday, with someone using my left shoulder as the guitar neck and my right forearm as a stand-in for the guitar body... having it sang to me in this manner by someone who self-admittedly needs a little fixin, it really made the lyrics hit home for me.

having recently (2 months yesterday) lost someone who was really important to me, who will never be replaced, it hit home. seems like the only thing that has helped has been to spend time around people who loved him just as much. spending time with people whom you care about and care about you can really fix so many things. knowing you have the support of good people makes you stronger, more prepared for things, since you know you have their affection and guidance to fall back on...

so however you feel about this band, the lyrics are worth reading, and remember kids, if you ask, i will try to fix you...

...they don't call me the mechanic for nothing!


When you try your best but you don't succeed
When you get what you want but not what you need
When you feel so tired but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse

And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone but it goes to waste
could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

And high up above or down below
When you're too in love to let it go
But if you never try you'll never know
Just what you're worth

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

Tears stream down on your face
When you lose something you cannot replace
Tears stream down your face
And I

Tears stream down on your face
I promise you I will learn from my mistakes
Tears stream down your face
And I

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you.

No comments:

"who are you to judge the life i live? i know i'm not perfect - and i don't have to be, but before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean." - bob marley

Blog Archive