Sunday, January 7, 2007

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - holy mary, mother of ch$@.%!

I feel very virtuous

It has nothing to do with my lifestyle as of late, its the holidays and damn, its about as debaucherous as any.... parties, dinners, catching up with old friends, basically its like all the vices rolled into one. Just think of it as sex, drugs and rock and roll personified.

But today there is a revelation; apparently, rock and roll is a religion. It started with an offhand conversation with Mikki discussing the holiday/slash religion party costume party at Hot Rocks, and she mentioned that she was going to dress up like a rocker because that was her religion.

I thought it was humorous until I realized every online survey or profile I've ever filled out when it asks for religion I write a quote from Kurt Vonnegut jr., which reads, "music proves the existence of God."

When people usually ask/joke/make fun of me for the fact that I can talk, read and listen to music incessantly and without provocation, I usually just joke back its my "hobby" or "obsession."

Of course, most obsessions have evangelistic overtones.

This was proved when today, in my walk over back over the Williamsburg Bridge to my house, I needed to stop by Kmart to purchase a $20 CD player because the thought of walking home without good music seemed impossible. And the only CD I had in my office (everything else is on the hard drive) was the new Starflyer 59. (thx Hans and Michelle!!)

Great album (except for the electric drums) but Starflyer 59... total Jesus freaks. They sing about him in at least four songs.

So I get over the bridge, start wrapping my head around the fact that God is rock and roll, and I am much more religious then I ever thought I was.

At the Hot Rocks party (tangent: LauRenn and Sheri, damn girls, good times!), the house band, LauRenn's friends, were called Sin Destroyer...

Sin Destroyer, with a "priest" as a lead singer and three elves on guitar, along with having the most kick ass heavy metal guitar I have heard in awhile, also loves Jesus. Too much. So much, that I didn't realize it was a joke at first and thought that they were serious and felt bad for laughing, which I confided in Nipple who informed me they were, in fact a concept band. Choruses like, "what would Jesus do, he would rock (rock!)" and "it took you seven days to make the world (and one day for me to love you)" drove home the point that yes, I am a worshiper. At least of very talented fingers.

With any luck, this has saved me from going to hell. Or at least bought me some time. Maybe I'm only getting a few years in purgatory for drinking with Murphy's Law, wasting years hanging out with American Standard, going to Dave Weston's house and not being to get up for church on Sunday cause I was out too late at thousands of concerts including Tommy Rockstar's 30th birthday festival. Maybe that is why the only time of year I find myself in a catholic church is when my mother *sings* at midnight mass. I also find it very comforting that Mikki went to St. John Fisher too.

Long live rock and roll, Christ be praised!

(Wait-- does worshiping Frank Black constitute a false idol?)

No comments:

"who are you to judge the life i live? i know i'm not perfect - and i don't have to be, but before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean." - bob marley

Blog Archive